Prominent Speaker and Active Workshop/Drafting Committee Participant Makes Noteworthy Interventions at United Nations Summit.
Nairobi-Kenya at UNITED NATIONS – HABITAT HEAD QUARTERS on 3rd till 11th June 2023.
Renowned expert and advocate for sustainable development, Mr. Mehsan Arshad, made a significant impact during his recent participation at the United Nations Habitat event as special Guest and speaker. With his invaluable insights and extensive experience, he contributed to discussions on affordable housing and the localization of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
As a distinguished speaker, Mr. Mehsan Arshad captivated the audience with his profound knowledge and captivating presentation on the importance of affordable housing in achieving sustainable developments. He eloquently emphasized the critical role that adequate housing plays in improving the quality of life for individuals and communities, particularly those in underserved areas.
In addition to his speaking engagement, Mr. Mehsan Arshad actively participated as a member of the workshop and drafting committee, where his expertise proved instrumental in shaping discussions and outcomes. His dynamic contributions and thought-provoking interventions enriched the deliberations on SDG localization, aiming to empower local communities and ensure the effective implementation of the global goals at the grassroots level.
Recognized for his remarkable achievements in the field, Mr. Mehsan Arshad brought forth innovative ideas and practical solutions to address the challenges associated with housing affordability and the localization of SDGs. His extensive knowledge of local contexts, coupled with his deep understanding of policy frameworks, allowed him to propose actionable strategies that resonated with fellow participants and garnered widespread appreciation.
One of the key highlights of Mr. Mehsan Arshad’s interventions was his emphasis on the importance of multi-stakeholder collaboration. He stressed the need for governments, private sector entities, and civil society organizations to join forces in implementing sustainable housing solutions. By fostering strong partnerships and leveraging resources, he advocated for a comprehensive approach that would create lasting positive impacts in communities, leaving no one behind.
Furthermore, Mr. Mehsan Arshad’s dedication to empowering marginalized groups, including women, youth, and vulnerable populations, was evident in his recommendations. He urged for inclusive policies and targeted interventions that address the specific needs and aspirations of these groups, ensuring equal access to affordable housing options and opportunities for economic growth.
As Mr. Mehsan Arshad’s presence at the United Nations Habitat event drew to a close, his contributions left an indelible mark on the discourse surrounding affordable housing and SDG localization. His insightful interventions have paved the way for actionable plans and policy recommendations that will shape the future of sustainable urban development.
As a workshop/drafting committee member, He emphasized the following key points later which was included in the declaration.
Importance of CSR Initiatives for Implementing SDGs:
- Encourage and promote corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives as a powerful tool for advancing the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Recognize the significant impact that CSR initiatives can have in addressing social, environmental, and economic challenges at the local level.
- Highlight the role of CSR in aligning business objectives with sustainable development objectives, fostering social inclusivity, and contributing to the overall well-being of communities.
Connecting SMEs through CSR and Financial Institutions:
- Advocate for stronger linkages between Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), CSR initiatives, and financial institutions.
- Highlight the importance of financial institutions providing preferential access to loans and financial support for SMEs actively participating in SDG implementation through their CSR activities.
- Emphasize the potential of this collaboration to enhance the competitiveness and sustainability of SMEs, while promoting the achievement of SDGs.
- Encourage financial institutions to develop tailored financial products and services that incentivize SMEs engaged in sustainable practices and contribute to the local development agenda.
Measurement and Reporting:E
- mphasize the importance of measuring and reporting the impact of CSR initiatives and SME contributions towards localizing the SDGs.
- Advocate for standardized frameworks and reporting guidelines that capture the social, environmental, and economic outcomes achieved through CSR efforts and SME engagement.
- Promote transparency and accountability by encouraging CSR initiatives and SMEs to regularly communicate their progress and share best practices, fostering a culture of continuous improvement and collective learning.
Recognition and Certification:
Establishing a certification framework that recognizes and rewards SMEs for their commitment to SDG implementation.
Developing specific criteria or guidelines to assess SMEs’ performance in relation to SDGs, considering qualitative and quantitative aspects.
Issuing certificates or labels to SMEs that meet the prescribed standards, showcasing their dedication to sustainable practices and enhancing their reputation in the market.
These critical points highlight the need for collaboration between CSR initiatives and SMEs, access to financial resources, and robust measurement, reporting practices and recognition and certification. By addressing these aspects, we can maximize the potential of CSR and SMEs to drive the localization of SDGs and create positive, sustainable change at the local level.
These highlighted lines reflect the significance of CSR initiatives in driving SDG implementation and the need to establish connections between SMEs, CSR efforts, and financial institutions. By promoting CSR and facilitating access to financial resources for SMEs, we can create a more inclusive and sustainable environment for achieving the SDGs at the local level.
Mr. Mehsan Arshad’s exceptional presence at the United Nations Habitat event as a speaker and workshop/drafting committee member underscored his unwavering commitment to promoting affordable housing and advancing the localization of SDGs. Through his interventions, he showcased the power of collective action and innovative solutions, inspiring stakeholders to join hands in building inclusive and sustainable communities for a better future.
Additionally, Mr. Mehsan Arshad’s longstanding association with the United Nations spans back to 2016 when he first joined as a special guest followed by UN advisory board member for African Women Leadership Fund (AWLF), he has championed the cause of women’s empowerment and economic inclusion. Having now graced the United Nations Habitat event as a special guest and speaker, Mr. Mehsan Arshad’s remarkable track record of 14 years in spearheading social impact projects and investments further highlights his unwavering commitment to driving positive change in communities worldwide.